CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Pregnacy Do's and Don'ts According to Our Chinese Friends

Do not wear sandals, short sleeves, or shorts even when it is hot outside. Do bundle up and make sure that you do not get cold. Being cold is bad for the baby.

Do not drink cold water or any other cold beverage. Do drink hot liquids. Cold liquids are bad for the baby.

Do not use the air conditioner or fans during pregnancy. Once again, being cold is bad for the baby.

Do not use the computer or watch t.v. while pregnant. If you must use the computer you must wear special protective clothing that covers the womb.

Do not work out or do any exercise except for light walking. Do get lots and lots of rest.

After The Baby is Born,

After the baby is born there is also a month of required rest for new mom's here. During this month, the new moms cannot leave the house, must stay in bed, cannot take a shower, work, cook, etc. They still cannot use the computer or watch tv, or eat fruit or drink anything cold.

"It's not wrong, it's just different." I've had to remind myself of this over and over a lot lately as my friends have offered me their pregnancy advice.

I've had many people tell me that I should not continue to run and work out because it is bad for the baby. From what my American doctor and American friends have told me, if I was working out before the baby, then it is ok for me to continue. The people also make comments when I wear my sandals. I love wearing my Chaco sandals; they are the most comfortable shoe for me to wear here because we do so much waking. They are one of my only pairs of shoes that don't hurt my feet. With my current thyroid problems, I get angry when I get hot, really frustrated and angry. It's still in the 70's here most days, but I can only imagine how I am going to feel when August comes and the heat rises and my tummy is bigger. I am sure that fans and the air-conditioner will be my best friends.

I have constantly had to tell people that my custom is different from the Chinese's custom, but that they are both ok. They just look at me strange and can't believe that we in America have never heard of nor practice these Chinese traditions. We get stared at enough already, I can't imagine what it is going to be like when I am waddling around the city and all eyes are upon me and advice and comments continue to be freely given. I have a feeling it may be a long 7 months. Please remember me.

0 comments: