CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 19, 2005

Spiritual Growth

I read this on a friend's blog who is getting married in a few weeks. I don't know what I think about this... now that I am married, is my spiritual growth really dependant upon my Husband walk with the Lord?

"My spiritual growth once married is dependant upon Bryson's encouragement in seeking
the word on a daily basis ... I have never thought that my spiritual growth depended one
any other person besides me...strange thought. I am going to have to pray over it's truth in
my life."
-Keri

3 comments:

The Bishop said...

I would give a qualified "yes." Is anyone's growth ever dependant on someone else? In many ways, no. However, as the two become one flesh, and the understanding of Christ's relationship with the church is shaped and communicated by the marriage relationship, there becomes an inter-relatedness that goes with our faith. My wife is still responsible for herself, but I am responsible for her, too. I must strive to provide for her in every aspect, including her walk. However, I can't force her, nor take the place of God to her. So, yes, but not completly. Does that make sense?

Gina Marie said...

I wouldn't say it's dependent, but "influenced." If my husband were to stop walking with the Lord, I would hope it doesn't mean I will as well. But certainly it would make it more difficult. I am supported by his walk, encouraged and challenged, but my walk is ultimately dependent on me responding to God.

Nathan Futrell said...

Kat, speaking as a guy who is very much still learning how to be the spiritual leader in a marriage, let me tell you it isn't easy. It would be different if Laine was an ignorant Christ-follower who knew nothing about the Father, but she's not, so I have to step it up a notch. But it's hard sometimes when I don't know where to step, to step it up.

I can't read Elaine's mind. When there's something she needs me to do or be DOING as the spritual leader, she needs to tell me. I think good communication is an essential part of Spiritual health and vigor, at least between Elaine and me. We're both working on stuff, but my job of being the "Spiritual leader" becomes much, much easier as Elaine no longer expects me to read her emotions or spiritual state. Maybe after 50 years of marriage I'll have that ability, but for now, good communication saves the day!