A friend of mine asked me this question the other day, and it’s haunted me since then. Am I ready to go to the edge? When I think about this question, this is what comes to my mind.
The edge is defined as the line where an object or area begins or ends. My whole life the edge has meant to me a line where an object ends. “I’ve been told to “stay away from the edge,” “Don’t get to close.” “Be careful.” The edge for me is a scary and dangerous place to be.
Am I ready to go to the edge? Am I ready to go to the place and look out to the unknown? The view from the edge of a mountain looking directly across the horizon is beautiful, breathtaking. For a while I stand in awe of the view. Then I look down. It’s the view looking down from the edge of the mountain that scares me. Knowing that a simple push from someone standing on the edge with me, a strong wind, or a wrong move made by myself would send me falling into the valley. The BREADTH of the fall, the rocks, trees, dark valley, the pain, the hurt, confusion, despair, the healing, the tiresome climb back up.
I’m scared of the fall. I’m scared of the pain the fall will cause. And, I’m, scared of the climb back up. I wonder if I’ll ever make it back to the mountain top.
I’m I ready to go to the edge. Honestly, Jeff, I don’t know. I’m scared.
Ready or Not
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment